Sunday, November 21, 2010

First Training Weekend

It's Sunday night after my first weekend as a Cyclist. (I'm a Cyclist!)

I knew I wanted to train a bit, and so I, despite the rain, set out to bike to the Observatory. If you know LA, you know that it sits at the top of a windy mountain road. (But then again, I guess most Observatories do...)

2.5 miles up, and 2.5 miles down.

It was great. I had to take a couple of breaks, and I didn't let the rain stop me. It was actually a bit refreshing. When I arrived at the top, it started pouring and my real only worry that my iPhone was going to get ruined.

I certainly don't have the gear yet. Remember the 'Not Ready for Prime Time Players' on SNL? I realized, I am the 'Not Ready for Spandex Rider'. Maybe after a few more rides and a few less donuts.

The ride was good, and I logged 5 miles to my count so far. I decided to denote my milage in my Facebook picture. It can be a reminder, something for people to ask me about, and a way to feel even more accountable. I made it look like an interstate sign with the color scheme of the ALC.

I went to a Bike 101 clinic at iMartin on Beverly on Saturday. It was a cool store, and I was the only one who showed, so a guy named Matt spent some time explaining to me what to look for in a bike purchase.

Albert's loaner bike he offered would be too small for me, and I went today to look at Mike's and he had everything from his ride last year. I called it the Showcase Showdown...and the price was right, so I am gonna make the leap and buy it all from him. Seems pretty far, but about 3 times as much as I planned to spend on this event. (I just had no idea how much I would need).

I put in 7 miles today, riding up through Griffith Park and back. It felt good, and I wasn't as tired. I can 'up it' pretty quickly.

I've gotten $340. in donations so far. Not a bad start. I look forward to drumming up more support. I have a lot of people who are saying they are planning to sponsor me, but I guess that June seems so far away.

I feel good though. Some good training, and I have a bike. (or WILL have one soon).












No comments: