Wednesday, November 17, 2010

200: It begins.

Today's the day.


In 200 days, I'll be joining an inspired group of riders from San Francisco to LA in my very first Aids/Lifecycle ride. Realizing that it's only 200 days away, I created a couple of teaser ads and a little video to announce my participation. What better way to begin, than to be a bit over the top...

Not to be overly self-indulgent with this blog, but I thought that documenting my progress might be interesting, (if only for myself), since I will be joining this ride from scratch. (Having never pedaled anywhere close to this distance, and not even having an adequate bike at this point).

Why am I doing it?

Though not personally affected by HIV/AIDS, I am very aware that the crisis isn't over. Despite the fact that many with HIV still lead healthy, productive lives, I dream of a cure in my lifetime. I have contempt for the fact that drug companies profit greatly while a cure is slow to be discovered, but since I can't do anything about that, I decided to take on this challenge, to hopefully shed a little more light in my life towards disease awareness and prevention.

A goal of $5,000 seems a bit lofty for my first time out, but I like a challenge, and it will give me a hefty goal to shoot for.

The second and main reason is for the adventure itself. The sense of triumph and accomplishment and the removal of one more thing off my 'bucket list'.

I am ready for the adventure. I can't wait.



To sponsor, visit: www.tofighthiv.org/goto/markrowe

No comments: