Friday, February 04, 2011

Big Wheels Keep on Turnin'

So....

I did my first group training ride 2 weeks ago, and it was really excellent.

When I first arrived, the Lead Rider, Doreen point-blank asked me, "Are you here for the ride, and, where are your glasses"? I was like.. "Ummm. My what?" Not realizing that was a requirement.

I should have known better. She explained how easy it was to get debris in your eyes. I kinda scoffed, (on the inside) thinking she was being a little too over protective.

The ride was great. 42 miles, great group of about 15 of us...everyone working hard. One really big hill, 'La Tuna', people spoke of as if it was legendary. That made me nervous. It was a 5 mile climb. A few said that if I can do this, I'll have no problem on the ride (which made me a little more nervous).

I learned so much that day. How to signal, how to make sense of the gears, how to call out to my fellow riders when there's a car approaching or such. We even learned how to change a tire when one rider got a flat.

We finished the day, and I felt like we had bonded.

I drove home and though, "Man, I should be more tired than I am." It felt great. At least then...

2 days later, my left eye was hurting so badly, I couldn't keep it open..it felt like there was a stick in there.

I thought at first maybe it was pink-eye. I went to the Opthamologist the next day and he looked close and asked me if I work on cars or in a position where I am drilling things. I said no. He said, 'You have something lodged in your cornea."

He used what looked like an exacto knife (It wasn't) to get it out.

It's a week later, and it still hurts.

$80 in co-pays later, I have learned my lesson and will never ride without my new glasses again.

It was still a great ride though...

No comments: